Pro Fitness is excited to put the spotlight on Pam Heiser this month! Congratulations from staff and friends at Pro Fitness!
August 1st, 2017, was the first time I walked in to Pro Fitness to meet Jason (My daughter took the 1st picture just before I went). I was very nervous because I’d never been to a fitness place before. The last time I did regular exercise was Jazzercise in the late 80s!
I’ve had back trouble all of my adult life and later a herniated disc which eventually led to 9 epidural steroid injections. There were days I couldn’t walk much farther than my neighbor’s house or get in and out of a car. I was also feeling the general aches and pains that come with aging and the scale kept creeping higher and higher. The final straw was arm/shoulder pain that was hindering my work as a professional pianist. I checked with two doctors to make sure it wasn’t serious and then after several massages with Jackie Bushner, I realized that if I could make time for these appointments, I could also make the time to exercise! Jackie highly recommended Pro Fitness and working with a trainer. I’m so thankful we had that conversation and I acted on her advice!
My main goal was to reduce pain and get more motion in my arm. At the time, I couldn’t get dressed easily or turn pages at the piano without pain. I also had no clue how to begin which is why I needed a trainer to guide me. I was afraid I would make things worse for my body but everything has improved from head to toe and I’ve lost over 12 pounds!
- I have more energy and improved posture.
- I eat healthier and drink more water.
- I don’t need to rely on coffee and ibuprofen to keep me going anymore.
- I have not been sick since I started exercising regularly.
- I’ve been able to go back to my full work schedule after taking a semester off to focus on rehab.
- I can now keep up with my husband and his love for really long walks and bike rides.
- We also want to vacation more but I need to be physically fit to enjoy that. I was pain-free during our last trip and able to stand, sit, and walk with ease and even played beach volleyball with my kids!
I feel like I’ve just started this journey. The toughest part will be continuing to make the time in my schedule. I can easily tell when I’ve waited too many days to go back. Core strengthening and increased balance, flexibility and muscle strength will continue to be goals.
Jason is a truly gifted teacher. Shortly after I started training, I sent this text to a friend “He’s super nice and doesn’t make me feel stupid, old, or inept!” He’s super attentive with how I’m doing the exercises so that I do them correctly. He’s an expert at how muscles work and makes modifications on the spot if I’m struggling. I could not have made these improvements on my own!
Pro Fitness is such a friendly and supportive environment. There’s always a happy face there to greet you! I was impressed that they knew me by name after one visit.